Friday 9 November 2007

OMM kit thoughts

Well it is now two weeks after the race and I have been chilling out and taking a complete rest from running. My feet were so swollen and I felt so tired that I decided a break was in order. So instead of running I have been planning next season and spent ags writing and rewriting training plans. Intervals are definetly back in and hopefully I will be able to up the intensity of my runs, especially the long ones. I was very surprised at the pace and needto be strong enough to at least jog through tussocks. Need more strength on the hills but at least I was quick enough on the downs

So I don't forget I will just put up a kit list from this year's OMM and hopefully I will be able to minimise it for the next one!

Lowe Alpine Rush 25l rucsack - too big and heavy
Rab Quantum 250 short sleeping bag - superb and very warm sleeping bag
Therma-rest Prolite short - heavy but floats and helps with warmth
Laser Comp tent- superb, warm and 'friendly'
NF Apex jacket - heavy but windproof so will probably take a light weight fleece instead as when it rained I put my jacket on anyway
NF s/s light thermal - warm enough and drys fast
lyrca tights - warmish but had very bad thigh rubbing on day 2 so shorts or vaseline next year
Helly Hansen wind pants - dry fast and warm
Gloves / hat - both got very wet and didn't dry perhaps try lighter ones that dry faster
Marmot jacket - heavy but seems to work well enough
Bargain bin waterproof trousers - shite and need some decent light ones
Pocket rocket stove / gas - foil wind shield made an enormous difference
Titanium pan - get a titanium kettle and use foil packet trail food??
Wool socks - warm but can I get away with lighter?
Food - together we ate 1 soup, 1 hot choclate, 2 curries only on the overnight and 4 oat so simple in morning - seemed fine
Running food - not enough sugar - need more instant energy as nuts and dried fruit not good enough so drinks powders and mars bars to satve off the bonk

The total weight was just under 5kg so should be able to knock off a few hunderd grams.

No comments: