Tuesday 21 June 2011

A hill runners flora - Part I

A selection of plants from last weekend's run in the Fisherfield.

Common eyebright (Euphrasia nemorosa) - it was apparently used to be used to treat sore eyes and also gives you physic powers.


Common Cow-wheat (Melampyrum pratense) - partially parasitic. The similar looking Small Cow-wheat is very rare.


Dwarf cornel (Cornus suecica) - the berries are meant to be an appetite stimulant hence the Gaelic name which translates as 'plant of gluttony'.


Round-leaved Sundew (Drosera rotundifolia) - one of my favourite plants because it eats midges.


Lousewort (Pedicularis sylvatica) - this parasitic plant is more common with purple flowers. The name seems to come from common belief that ingestion of the plant by livestock would induce lice infestation.

I have identified the plants as best I can but there may be some errors. Let me know if I have misidentified anything.


No comments: