Monday 20 August 2007

Beinn Bhrotain Loop

I am not a big fan of the Cairngorms. Although I admit that the glens are spectacular, the tops and the plateau area have been the arena for some of the most soul destroying runs I have ever done. Or perhaps it it just that I leave these hills until the weather forecast is not too good. I would rather be somewhere with better views if the weather is good. The week before I had a rather character-building trog between Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a'Chaorainn. The ground was nearly as wet as the all enveloping cloud and the hills had no redeeming features.

The weather forecast was slightly better for my next jaunt in an attempt to 'clear up' the Linn of Dee, although the long-distance glen runs look good. The track up to White Bridge made quick going and after 5km turned up a track running alongside the Dee which I presume the NTS had converted into a path fairly recently. Heading off the path up the hillside by Allt Garbh the ground started heathery and gradually got wetter, as did the weather. I put my jacket came on and, fighting an early urge to turn back, pulled down the toggles and stomped up. The higher I got the strong the gusts and the rain turned from a steady drizzle to sharp showers which drummed on my hood and seeped into my sleeves. Everytime one of these showers came on, I turned and contemplated turning round down the hill. A combination of pig-headedness, an urge to never to return to this hill gain and an annoying habit of the rain the lull kept me heading up. I shouted out loud to vent my frustration and cursed my strange need to tick hills from a list. The only interest was navigating from the map reading contours rather than relying on the compass (good training after all).

After the summit of Beinn Bhrotain, the clouds did indeed clear to be replaced by a strong cold wind, which at least dried my clothes. A least I could see a path down an area of red granite 'roof tiles' to the bealach leading to the rise of Monadh Mor. Just by the bealach the sun caught the rain in the glen below and gave rise to a strong rainbow. The respite was brief and the rain came back with renewed vigour and by the cairn it was sleeting. To drop as much height as quickly as I could I dropped down the steep hillside over grass and rocks directly into Glen Geusachan and followed a muddy rut towards the Dee. As it hadn't rained for the last 3km and I had almost dried out, I forded the several rivers here abouts and bagged Sgor Mor via Creagan nan Gabhar. The clouds meanwhile had rolled back and I sat for a minute or two working out the names of the surrounding hills.
After a steep descent into Glen Dee I followed the track back to Linn of Dee where I changed, for the second time in a week, in the fine drizzle of water and midges in equal proportions.


Stats: Time: 6h Distance: 20km offroad 12km track

No comments: