Monday 1 March 2010

Haworth Hobble preparations


I can't believe I last posted way back in December! Time flies when you are training and then trying to recover and dealing with the daily 5.30am to 6am wakeup calls from Owen. There seems to be hardly anytime to do anything else. Training seems to be going well with nay a session missed so far this year - I have just jinxed myself there. The mileage is still pretty low, but I am up to 6 runs a week and some decent long days in the hills. Actually some of the runs have been exchanged for some cross country ski-ing because it seems we have had constant snow and ice for the past few months. All good though and I do feel strong - especially so after about 45minutes of hard exercise. The winter Olympics has been a great motivation and watching the cross country and biathlon has been awe-inspiring.

It is now only a couple of weeks to go until my first race of the year; The Haworth Hobble which is a 32 mile jaunt near Hebden Bridge. Bronte country apparently although I doubt I have ever read any of their work. My longest run has been about 7 miles, but I am hoping the long climbing days, including a fantastic traverse of the Aonach Eagach will keep me right. I am running it with a friend who is planning the Bob Graham Round so I am just aiming to have fun and get some mileage in the legs.

When I look back to 2008 (my Ramsay year) it all seems to be heading in a similar direction and if anything my training seems to be more consistent. I really do rate mountaineering days out as superb preparation for the 24 hour challenge-type runs so hopefully the snow will consolidate and let me out in the crampons. I wont top 2008 for the number of winter routes done (20), but a decent number should set me up well for the summer. A trip to Armenia planned for June will push back my Paddy attempt into early July. The reccy trip to Snowdonia is still on for April. So here's hoping I survive the Hobble...

No comments: