Tuesday 16 March 2010

Haworth Hobble the recovery

Haworth makes even Drumnadrochit seem understated when it comes to cashing in on the tourists. I mean there must be at least one B and B in the Highland town which hasn't got a name linked to Nessie, but I think you would be pushed to find an establishment in Haworth that isn't in some way linked to the bl@@dy Bronte sisters. Even our room, in the otherwise excellent B and B, had a copy of Wuthering Heights - it probably replaces the Gideon in these parts.

After one of the most chilled out race registrations and a lovely breakfast, the race started outside The Fleece at 8am. We walked the first hill then settled into a long distance shuffle at the back of the pack. The weather was chilly, but sunny and it was only misty for a few miles.


Even the race route couldn't avoid the influence of that evil triad of scribblers as we had to cross Br@@te Bridge, shortly after which we ploughed into the back of the pack which was held up at one of the stile crossings. Everyone was very polite and no-one dared jump the fence.

On the first moorland section the headwind was bitter and really made it's presence known near Widdop. After that the route seemed to be much less exposed, but I still wore gloves for most of the day. The ground was frozen in parts, paved in others and very pleasant to run along. For the most part we ran in small, friendly groups leaving the nav to people who had done it before. Pleasingly we both managed a constant pace throughout and so gradually made our way through the field and Lisa kept smiling.

Aside from a very sore right foot, probably due to the hard ground and a lack of runs of over 7 miles in length, I managed to survive the Hobble in remarkably good shape. My running partner Lisa, a friend from Uni days, was hoping just to get round and we had a target time of 10 hours. Suitably fortified with the previous evening's traditional Yorkshire Biryani and an awesome fry up that morning, we did considerably better finishing in 7 hours 24 minutes. Tired, but not unduly so.


In fact I enjoyed myself, which is sometimes a pretty difficult for me to do, probably partly as I was able to leave my 'race face' at home. The course was varied moorland tracks with just the right amount of tedious tarmac for me to be grumpy about. Although there weren't any big hills I can't remember any flat bits either - just nicely undulating. My greatest ambition for the race was to get to the hot dog stand at mile 15. Lisa's face was a picture as she watched me washing down the frankfurter with a steaming mug of tea, whilst she struggled to digest some Jelly babies.


The event reminded me of a kind of Fellsman-lite and was much more enjoyable and interesting than the likes of the Three Peaks. Perhaps not great specific training for the Paddy Buckley, but I got some miles in the legs, a superb motivation boost and perhaps a good kick start to some distance run training. All I have to hope is that all the snow and ice melts as at the moment temptation is too great and I always end up climbing instead.

My next trip to Wales is in late April and I can't wait...

No comments: