Monday 31 December 2007

Sea King-tastic!

Despite the tone of my last post I managed to get a couple more days in before the end of the year. On Saturday I ran a superb of two Grahams and a Corbett on the west side of Glensulaig near Fassfearn returning down the glen track. The weather slowly improved all day although the decent off the southerly most hill was significantly steeper than I wanted My aging fell shoes really weren't the most suitable tools for the job and I was very relieved to get out of the snow line which was at about 400m. The rest of the run went really well despite getting very numb feet on some of the climbs. The track in the glen was mostly there but degenerated into bog shortly before the bothy, which was a bit dank but looked fine to stay the night in. It was a good hard run and I definetly felt it in my legs on Sunday.
Dist: 20km Time: 3hs
On Sunday I headed out to Creag Meagidh with my wife and some friends from Uni. The new path up to the lochan is superb and Easy Gully (I) was in good climbable condition with a suprisingly good depth of snow. Much of the harder routes were not quite there yet and have probably been stripped by todays thaw. The day ended up with an interval session as I mislaid my wife in the white-out conditions on the summit plateau. The RAF were on a training mission in the area and were happy to come back to look for her and she was soon located on the path about 10 minutes from the car park. Several lessons learnt there!

Dist: 16km Time: Lots!

After yesterdays epic it was decided that a nice easy day was required. Up to the corries by Carngorm and we found some good icy bulges The routes looked thin and the snow was slushy so we were quiet happy to just link up icy weeps up the Goat Track at about Grade I but very escapable. We finished up over Carngorm to help Lisa get her Munro count up. The Ptarmigan station was busy with skiers and I left with the impression that only in Britain could a ski-centre open with such bad snow conditions! Yet again the forecast was wildly wrong with lower winds and much better visibility.

Dist: 6km

No comments: