Friday 4 January 2008

Heavy snow???

So whilst the rest of Scotland is seemingly inundated with snow, up here in Inverness there is barely a dusting. Forecasts for heavy snow up here have been a bit optimistic and I will have to wait a bit longer for some cross-country ski-ing. It still feels cold and sunshine has been limited. Still the views yesterday from Dores down the Great Glen on my road bike ride were great. I put boiling water in my bottle which was ice cold within about 30min. The odd glimpses of sun were a real bonus and helped put those dark thoughts of returning to work behind me for a bit.

Today, Friday, I was meant to be taking it easy so I headed up to Tom Bailgean near Loch Duntlechaig. It is a small heathery hill with a mast on top with a south face of short conglomerate walls. From beside Loch Ceo Glais I headed up the obvious deep-cut gully in the south face for a bit of scrambling (with a couple of steep steps) and then slithered down the track which serves as an access for the mast. There was quite a breeze and the semi-frozen track was tricky in my disintergrating inov-8s. I used my new heart rate monitor to make sure I didn't try too hard which seemed to work. All good fun and even more stats to play with ; ). Still, another good short run near Inverness and back in time for tea and medals.

Time 30min, Distance 4km, Height 219moa, Av HR 149, Max HR 170

No comments: