Monday 10 March 2008

Corriechollie to Kinlochleven


This was definetly not my idea. However, as my sense of humour was falling in direct corelation to my blood temperature of my feet, I was too concerned with getting out alive before hypothermia set in rather than finding someone, Lisa, to blame. Recriminations are best done in a pub or failing that the cafe in the Ice Factor. Unfortunately the cafe was still about 2hs away. A sobering thought as the horizontal hail lashed into my eyes every time I tried to see where the vague path went. At least we had the common sense to cross the swollen river via a bridge by Creaguaineach Lodge rather than attempr to swim from Meannanchan bothy. A stunt for which the factor up by Spean Bridge had recommended a diving suit for.


Hours earlier it had all seemed a good idea. I admit I less keen than the others with the idea of running 18 miles in heavy showers and near gale force winds. Perhaps being cooped up south of the border does strange things to the mind. On the plus side I would get to reccy a 10km section of the Ramsay. So it was with only slight misgivings that I dropped the car off at Kinlochleven. I fervently prayed that I would see it again before the end of the day. The first hour from Corriechollie (over the river from Roy Bridge) was along easy tracks along Lairaig Leachach, taking in views of Munros to the right and Corbetts to the left. It was only past the bothy that the path dissappeared into the bog. Overhead, the showers were brief and the sun shone even more briefly. And, for moments, I was enjoying the running and the scenery. However once over Abhainn Rath the hail started and the temperture dropped sharply, as did my morale. This section of the Ramsay past Staoineag bothy was awful. Wet and no path. Beyond the bothy it gets worse and cowering beneath my jacket hood, I didn't even get any views to compensate fot the almost constant immersion in ice-cold water. Only in Scotland can water be that cold without freezing!

Once on the hydro-track to Loch Eilde Mor the rain stopped, the sun came out, my feet thawed and the wind swung round to a headwind. I checked out the support point for the Ramsay (a ruined bothy just by the track), pulled all the spare clothing I had and jogged down with the others to Kinlochleven for tea and medals. Begrudingly I must confess that it was good training, although I was so tired, motivation-wise, on Sunday that I missed my hill sessions. It was good to meet up with my friends although I might suggest the pub would be a better place for a blether next time.




Time 5hs Distance 18M

No comments: